A large group of walkers gathered on Saturday morning for our varied distances. The sun was out in force and it was generally agreed (after standing about waiting for the final few to arrive) that it was a lot colder than anticipated. The wind was brisk and the conversation lively as we set out on our first round of the cemetery.
When JeansMarines was winding down in 2008, a few of us talked about what we would do when we no longer had the structure of meeting three times a week to train for races and, more importantly, to retain the friendships which had become so important to us. Out of a few conversations on our long slow distances, Toronto Power Walkers was born. I am still amazed when I see the great turnout of women (and a few good men) on a chilly Saturday morning, or at 7:00am in the summer!
- Make sure you’re in the Google Group! Emails are provided throughout the year through the Google group, so if this is your first year, get in touch with Phyllis or Lorna who will sign you up.
- Make a note that we will meet at High Park at 8:00am on April 9th and May 7th. In June, we move permanently to High Park with a 7:00am start.
- TPW Logo – a date has been set to bring personal items of clothing to have the logo either stitched or silk-screened in time for spring races. There is a minimum for silk-screening of 12 items.
- Races – Check the left sidebar for Helen’s updates on races of interest for 2011. TPWs are participating in Harry’s Spring Runoff on April 2nd both as racers and as volunteers. To volunteer as a Toronto Power Walker, contact Charlotte at email@example.com
- Training – We hope to have two training sessions – a core conditioning class and a session on power walking technique and stretching – with an additional session on technique on a Saturday morning.
- Sponsorship – Harbord House has come up trumps again! John Oakes has offered his sponsorship again this year and we are very grateful. A dinner for the group will be arranged at Harbord House in April or May after a session of interval training at Central Tech.
- Laurel has received our hats and they are now being stitched with the TPW and Harbord House logos. If you are a new, fully paid-up member, your dues include a hat. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to collect.
- Tuesday intervals have begun! We gather at 6:30pm at the Quail & Firkin on Yonge Street, just north of the Rosedale subway station. Meet everyone at the back of the pub by the pool table, do your interval training and then join the group for dinner. Check the right sidebar for the weekly training schedule.
- Thursday walking is still on hold but watch the right sidebar for the start of our tempo walks.
- Charity – Sherry, Barb DL and Barb C are looking into this year’s potential charity – more to come from them.
- Carol noted that although a small group of us initiated TPW, the group as a whole is encouraged to help out. We currently have openings for Guest Bloggers – contact Phyllis and don’t be shy!
Lastly, a couple of our longtime members are moving out of town. We wish Barb C and Deb the very best for the future – we’ll miss you both!